Michelin Starcross 5 Tyre 90/100-21 revolutionises motocross tyres with a lighter casing design, cutting weight by up to 15% without sacrificing strength. The increased flexibility and aggressive tread provide superior traction, progressive cornering, and the option to run higher pressures. This tyre requires no 'running-in,' delivering optimal performance from the start. The directional intermediate and side tread blocks, along with specific central blocks, ensure excellent steering, braking, and traction on diverse track surfaces.
Michelin has launched the new Starcross 5 range of motocross tyres following an extensive three-year testing and development program with riders of all levels, from world championship riders, to amateur racers.
By pooling their respective expertise, the research and development team and Michelin Motorsport team worked together making the most of their shared experience in the field, often in extreme conditions, to design the tyre.
The Michelin Starcross 5 range breaks new ground for Michelin in the world of motocross. Compared to its predecessors (Starcross 3 and 4), the Michelin Starcross 5 range features a new, lighter casing design. The new design offers a weight saving of up to 15%* without compromising strength and durability due to the use of stronger, higher density materials.
The more flexible casing and aggressive tread pattern also offers a number of other benefits for riders:
Features of the Michelin Starcross 5 Tyre 90/100-21
- Improved traction in a straight line and more progressive handling in corners
- The ability to run higher pressures, to reduce the risk of the tyre coming off the rim, with no loss of grip or comfort
- No ‘running-in’needed as the flexible casing offers great performance from the starting gate. The new casing has also been engineered to optimise the size of the contact patch.
- Specifically designed to deliver high levels of performance on a wider range of terrain from firm soil, grass, mud, and even sand.
- Mud-phobic bars maximize cleaning capability to prevent mud and dirt from building up between the knobs, which ensures maximum traction and acceleration.
- The intermediate tread blocks on the soft tire are positioned in staggered rows to maximize traction and feedback throughout varying lean angles.
This, along with aggressive front and rear tread patterns offers maximum levels of grip for precise steering and traction, even when racing in very difficult conditions.
Directional intermediate and side tread blocks ensure good steering response from the front tyre and traction from the rear. The central blocks are designed specifically to enhance braking performance and traction on all types of track surfaces. They act like hooks to dig-in and drive the motorcycle forward.
Available in four versions (Hard, Medium, Soft and Sand) Michelin Starcross 5 tyres are designed to give high levels of performance on all types of ground conditions and terrain found in motocross and cross country races.
The Michelin Starcross 5 Soft has mud-phobic bars which further enhance tyre cleaning to further prevent soil from building up and reducing traction, whatever the conditions
The Michelin Starcross 5 Soft rear tyres (as well as the medium) have intermediate tread blocks which are positioned in staggered rows to reduce the "see through" zones, which can cause handling issues when changing the angle.